© 2010 Lillie’s. All Rights Reserved
Lillie Langtry was a highly successful British actress, a renowned beauty, and socialite of the late 19th century. She was notorious for her long list of prominent suitors, which included the future King of England, Edward VII. She was born on the Isle of Jersey, which lies off the southern coast of England, and was later known as the “Jersey Lillie”.
Lillie landed on the shores of America in 1882 to fulfill her dream as a world renowned actress. On the evening of her debut “An Unequaled Match, ” at the New York Park Theatre, the building burned to the ground, leaving only a charred sign bearing the words “Lillie Langtry”. This incident assured Lillie’s everlasting fame throughout the states.
At home in the company of princes and presidents, artists and poets, or simply alone in her garden. Envied, respected, adored, and lampooned, her fame spanned over half a century. A controversial figure who challenged Victorian society’s attitudes to women, Lillie Langtry was a unique woman, years ahead of her time.
The ornate wooden carvings and antiquities in Lillie’s were procured from a ballroom in an 1800s estate in Northern Ireland. The establishment combines an authentic ostentatious decor with a down-to-earth, mellow ambiance, that represents one of the last great Victorian “gin palaces” that once flourished in the industrial cities of Northern Ireland and England.
We serve an eclectic, traditional menu and offer an impressive range of over fifty domestic and imported beers, both on tap and bottled, as well as a fine selection of whiskeys and scotches. Our hand-picked selection of wines, the majority of, actually come from the Langtry estate in California, which was founded by Lillie herself in 1888, add to the authentic ambiance.
The antique, carved-wood bar and furnishings, the likes of which have not been seen in many years, were acquired from a Victorian mansion in Belfast, Ireland. Great care was taken to have them preserved, wrapped and shipped across the Atlantic to their new home in Union Square at the heart of New York City.
Importand dates in the life of Lillie Langtry
- 1853October 13th. Born on the Island of Jersey.
- Age 141867Receives her first marriage proposal.
- Age 201874Marries Edward Langtry (Irish landowner)
- Age 2218761st society dinner at Lady Sebright’s
- Age 231877Starts affair with Prince of Wales
- Age 241878Presented at court to Queen Victoria
- Millais Portrait wins Portrait of the year
- Age 261880Has money problems
- Age 271881Secret birth of her daughter in Paris
- First appearance on stage
- First commercial Advertisement: Pears soap
- Age 281882Theater tour of America with own company
- Age 311885Texas town named after her by Judge Roy Bean
- Age 321886Tours in own Pullman carriage “Lalee”
- Age 331887Becomes American Citizen
- Divorces Edward Langtry
- Age 341888Returns to London stage
- Age 381892Becomes owner of 120 ft yacht
- Refuses role in Lady Windemere’s Fan
- Age 441897Wins Cesarawitch with her horse Merman
- Age 451898Retires from the stage a millionaire
- Age 481901Purchases own theatre: The Imperial London
- Attends King Edward VII coronation
- Age 511905Acting tour of South Africa
- Age 521906First appearance in Vaudeville
- Age 531907Breaks the bank at Monte Carlo
- Age 551909Writes her first novel
- Age 601913Appears in first and only film role
- Age 621916Returns to stage for WWI charities
- Age 721925Writes Autobiography “The Days I Knew”
- Age 751929Dies in Monaco
- Buried on the Isle of Jersey